In an article published by the Ithaca Voice yesterday evening, it was revealed that there are toxic pollutants at 400-4006 Spencer Rd where the Stone Quarry Apartments are set to be built. The site does not currently meet the standards for residential occupancy, due to the contamination, and will need to have remediation in order to bring the site up to state environmental standards.
More information can be found in the article here:
Major Toxic Pollutants Found at Stone Quarry Site
The Stone Quarry Apartments project is going before the Planning and Development Board this evening at 6pm (108 E. Green St). If you are interested in sharing your opinion, please plan on attending this meeting (you will need to arrive prior to 6pm in order to sign up to speak) or e-mail you comments to Charles Pyott at: firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for them to the passed along to the PDB.
Update: After the PDB meeting, the Board voted to table to project until next month.
More news articles:
- Ithaca Voice – Ithaca Officials Change Story About Toxic Contaminants at Controversial Development
- Ithaca Voice – Dramatic Heated Meeting Ends in Tabling of Controversial Ithaca Development
- Ithaca Times – Stone Quarry Apartments Tabled in Light of Environmental Concerns
- WENY – Contamination Concerns: Ithaca Development
- Ithaca Voice – Is State Reviewing Contaminants at Ithaca Development? Yes, Official Says, but it’s Complicated
- Ithaca Journal – Ithaca Delays Affordable Income Spencer Road Project
More detailed information about the contamination can be read in the Toxics Targeting Letter to the mayor: Final Construction Approval of the Stone Quarry Apartments Should be Withheld Due to Toxic Concerns